Healthful food and clean water
This is not to say that every atom in our bodies comes from what we eat. They can also come from substances inhaled into the lungs or absorbed through the skin. Nevertheless it is generally true that we are what we eat. Our bodies come from the earth, and we rely on planet earth for our physical sustenance.
Each of the approximately 100 trillion cells in the adult human body is like a miniature civilization complete with factories, power plants, and a transportation system. (The video Unlocking the Mystery of Life (www.unlockingthemysteryoflife.com) uses computer animation to give a glimpse into that miniature civilization.) Since the raw materials come from the food we eat, our physical lives are tied inextricably to the earth that we live on.
What we put into our mouths affects the functioning of our cells. If we eat a wholesome, balanced diet, our cells tend to function well. Wellness reigns in the miniature kingdom. If we eat junk food on an ongoing basis, negative consequences result.
Positive mental attitude
Scientists at UCLA have even identified a mechanism whereby stress can affect the body's immune system. See "UCLA study identifies mechanism behind mind-body connection" at www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-07/uoc--usi071508.php.
Wise King Solomon wrote a number of proverbs about the mind-body connection:
- "Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, But a good word makes it glad." (Proverbs 12:25 NKJV)
- "A sound heart is life to the body, But envy is rottenness to the bones." (14:30)
- "Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones." (16:24)
- "A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones." (17:22)
Avoid bodily injury
Some of the negative influences on our health are not so obvious. Some may be controversial, but they are what they are. See the following topics in the Links section of this website:
- Genetically engineered food
For example, genetically engineered soy has elevated levels of an allergen called trypsin inhibitor. Dairy products in the U.S. are often tainted by use of genetically engineered bovine growth hormone that has been outlawed in Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and all European Union nations.
- Artificial sweeteners
See the Links section of this website.
- Electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation
Concern about the long-term effects EMF radiation and evidence that it may not be good have developed in recent years as the use of wireless communications devices has proliferated. Avoiding all EMF radiation is pretty much impossible on 21st century Planet Earth. However, we subject ourselves to additional EMF radiation when we use cellular telephones frequently or operate wireless routers in our homes. See the Links section of this website.
Cleanliness and dress
Dress as a health factor refers to avoiding clothing that is overly tight, restricting the body's blood flow. "For the life of the flesh is in the blood" (Leviticus 17:11 World English Bible).
Sunshine and fresh air
Fresh, clean air contributes toward good health. We human beings need air to live. Our bodies consume oxygen and produce carbon dioxide just as green plants consume carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.
Sleep and rest
- People who are usually inactive can improve their health and well-being by becoming even moderately active on a regular basis.
- Physical activity need not be strenuous to achieve health benefits.
- Greater health benefits can be achieved by increasing the amount (duration, frequency, or intensity) of physical activity.